Sunday, August 12, 2012

Review of J.D.Stockholm's Dear Teddy

I am not going to begin this review with an I'm sorry, as I feel it would be an insult to the Author. It took an enormous amount of courage to write this book and I commend him for it. This story was told through the eyes of a 5 year old child, who endured a horrific amount of abuse, neglect, starvation and sexual abuse. I am outraged that a Parent could put a child through the heinous things this baby survived. I have a child just two years older than the one in this book. I can not imagine someone hurting him in any way, so seeing this through this child's eyes, shattered my heart for him. We know this goes on, but it's something you hear about on the news, or through gossip. There is something surreal about hearing it from the abused party. The blinders really came off after reading his story. He did an amazing job of detailing events, the emotions involved, and the pain felt. It made me realize something. A child may one day escape the abuse, but the abuse never escapes them. I felt an enormous amount of love for this little boy, and would have given anything if I could have stepped through this book and held him, took him away from it all and shown him what love feels like. It was an emotional read, but one I do not regret picking up. It woke me up, and I highly recommend reading it. The Author brought out detail and realism that's difficult to capture in memoirs. 5 stars.

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!!! It is heartbreaking enough to hear of abuse in the world but to hear it from a child's point of view is much harder to swallow. With each paragraph read I embraced the boy that much closer to me. I finished the second book and wat for the next one. My heart goes out to this little boy he once was and my hat goes off to the man he became.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished book 2 also. Will have a review up soon.

      Delete
  2. It shocks me to this day how an adult/parent can be so hateful to an innocent child. I am a parent of 3, and I have never been able to understand this type of torture. Children are not asked to be brought into this world. Therefore, no one should have to endure such hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise...I agree..Its awful...

      Delete
  3. Very well said. You nailed it all perfectly. James is our hero for being brave enough to tell this and bring an awareness about such a thing that we could never have without this detailed account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to reading this book. The sad part is that this story happens all the time across the country. Stories like this shine a spotlight on the things that don't get talked about and try to be swept away as if they never existed. I commend the author for taking the time to write something so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Savannah...It truly is a must read.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the author has this outlet to be able to help in the healing process. Abuse is a horrific defining act in a child's life that does not have to define who we become as adults but definitely is always there and my heart goes out to all victims of abuse. He is obviously a very courageous and strong man, I wish him peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Lois, You are so right!

      Delete
  6. Shocking and intensely touching book..

    ReplyDelete

Love feedback!