Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Telling Teddy review-By Azure Boone


2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I made it through the nightmare27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Telling Teddy (Dear Teddy: A Journal Of A Boy Volume 2) (Kindle Edition)
I finally made it through. And once again, I was persuaded by the voice of the nameless, sweet boy in the story, to continue on. I feel really weird and bad trying to find words when critiquing something like this. Can't say how good it is without feeling sadistic. But in the educational aspect, I can honestly say that I've learned so many things listening to this child "show" me his story. It's a roller coaster ride, but in book two, I witnessed the formation of disorders taking shape from the trauma he experiences. Not only did I notice them, I understood why. And sadly, the little boy's belief in his parent's lies about him seems to offer some kind of "reason" for the insanity. Even though it's an utter lie that every reader can see, the lie was a truth to him that he could not escape. It became that dirty feeling that you can never seem to wash away, they literally stained his soul with it.

I liked that book two was in present tense. I was utterly amazed and enthralled by the boy's thought processes and terminology for things. He was such a remarkable boy, I thought. Some of my favorite passages:

"There is a crazy dog there. He is called Snoopy. He doesn't look like Snoopy and he doesn't sleep on top of his house. He is little and black and mean. He likes to bite people if they got too fast." (on their bikes or skates)

and...

"My Nan goes to the dentist because she has pretend teeth and the dentist gets to make new ones. He makes them with fire and things. Maybe they are hot in my Nan's mouth."

and...

"I want to make her not do the stare thing. (his teacher, he's in trouble for defending himself)
I don't like looking at her face. She has a big lump on the side of her head. My Nan says they are called moles. I don't know why they are called moles. Moles are things that live in the ground and look like little bears. But she has one of the lumpy things and it looks silly."

These are just a FEW of the examples of how he speaks and communicates this entire story.

It's not an easy read at all. But I think it's one we owe it to ourselves, our children, and even society, to read and learn. To gain wisdom and knowledge in these hidden dark things. To know what signs to look for in case we should come into contact with a victim. To recognize and understand their fears and behaviors and maybe help stop or prevent such things.

It's not enough that we know about it. Unless we experience the horror, we can't really know. Being told about poverty and being poor is such a huge difference. And while we can't experience it truly, we can get pretty close with an account such as this.

Thanks JD Stockholm for braving such an endeavor and giving voice to this silent epidemic.

5 comments:

  1. So many wonderful reviews for a amazing book..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Savannah! Yes, it was a heart breaking story that was written in an amazing way...

      Delete
  2. Yes, you're welcome Jamesy pooh!

    ReplyDelete

Love feedback!