Sunday, December 2, 2012

What is love?

love, it's such a small word with an enormous meaning. What is love? Is it a chance happening, or a conscious decision? How many of you have loved someone until you got them..or didn't realize you loved them until they were gone? What's the difference between love and lust? Can you not even like someone and want them sexually...or love someone and not want them? Such a fine line. Is it possible to love more than one person at a time? Does love really die...or merely fade off into a forgotten place in the far reaches of our hearts...These are questions I have been asking myself as of late. I have found it in a couple of different forms. I have experienced love at first site..I have had love form from a friendship...I have been in lust and mistook it for love. Do we always want what we know we cant have...only to find that's not what we really want when it's in our grasp? Is love just an emotion...or is it a living breathing thing? I know it can cause illness...even suicide in some. I have seen people starve themselves, lose their hair...lose their jobs...go to prison...over love. It's an amazing thing when it slides into place...If it doesn't fit...it can destroy. I have been guilty of hurting those who have  loved me. It's so easy to dismiss someones feelings when you don't return them. I was talking with a friend yesterday about love...When you really love someone...You are willing to be in that persons life at all costs, even to just be a friend. It's called acceptance. It's a beautiful thing. If you can just walk out of someones life because your love is not returned on the same level...that wasn't love to begin with, but obsession. If they turn you on but it annoys you when they need you outside of a sexual nature, that's not love either, it's lust. If you cant have that person, and are willing to help them, be a friend and remain a part of their life regardless....That is love :)

16 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a tough question. You have to be able to love someone enough that if they tell you they have to go, you let them without extreme anger. Hurt is another matter, but if they are not happy, and there is nothing you can do to correct the situation, it is kinder to let them move on for both of your sakes.

    In a marriage, there are ups and downs, peaks and valleys. Although sometimes one wants the other sexually MORE throughout the relationship, and sometimes this even switches depending up on other stresses, hormone fluctuations, and the like, you have to love them more than the sex you are not getting at the time!

    Health is another issue that crops up during long-term relationships and not so long-term ones as well. Do you care enough to stay with them even if it is just for supporting them financially and emotionally?

    I recently told my own husband that it didn't matter if we never had sex again for the rest of our lives and that I could live in a travel trailer with him if I had to. Doesn't mean we don't want to be together in that way or that we don't want a better standard of living, but it takes so much more than that to stay together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything you said is true Joy...and yes, hurt is another matter altogether...And you're right...if I loved someone I would live in a tent with them if I had to! <3

      Delete
    2. One of my FB friends posted this tonight. I thought Wow! What a coincidence. It seems to pertain so here it is: "When two people feel an unconditional attraction for each other, and are ready to sacrifice for one another, they are truly in love. Then only are they ready for an intimate relationship in marriage. Mere possessiveness won't do. When one marriage partner tries to control the other, it shows a lack of real love. But when they express their love in continual thoughtfulness for the true happiness of the other, it becomes divine love. In such a relationship we have a glimpse of the Divine."
      ~ Paramhansa Yogananda

      Delete
    3. Thats perfect! It's what we all want deep down. Thank you for this Joy!! <3

      Delete
  2. Great Blog Ditter!!!! I have loved and known love in almost every facet. I have loved to the point of obsession, loved those who didnt love me back, loved those whose love was returned 10fold and have loved even when I knew I shouldn't. I have loved something I couldn't see, couldn't explain and couldn't contain. Defining love has always been the easy part for me. The hardest part is knowing when I shouldn't. That although I love something doesn't mean that I should. The hardest part for me is realizing the truth behind the whole cliche that sometimes love isn't enough. The hardest part with love that I have, is learning to love myself enough to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a lot alike Tonya..I know I have said that many times, but we are. It's taking me a long time to see clearly, and i'm not completely there as of yet! You are very wise dear one... <3 <3

      Delete
  3. I believe that there is a very fine line between love and lust, and you're right, most times it's very difficult to distinguish between the two. And like you, we have all hurt others or been hurt by not giving or receiving love. It's a part of life. And it's inevitable.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Cyn!! Thank you for commenting! <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Love, intangible yet so necessary.

    I say intangible because there is no way to measure it, to hold it. I've loved in all the ways described. I rarely let my walls down enough for anyone to get in, but when I do...i'm all in.

    This goes for friends as well. I love my friends, those who know me, the me I hide from the world. I will be there for whomever you are.

    Loving someone, anyone is exposure. Opening yourself, being yourself and accepting it. And then its loving, accepting and just wanting the best for the other person.

    I've loved the wrong people, but I am grateful. I feared for a long time that i was incapable of the depth of emotion.

    Recognizing love, accepting it, and allowing it to breathe, that is the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Rosie...I have talked with you before...I understand what you are saying. Your words...
      Recognizing love, accepting it, and allowing it to breathe, that is the trick. Well said! Love you Lady! <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you, my friend. <3 to the moon

      Delete
  5. That is great question and one I have struggled with for many years and in analyzing my own past relationships. Where do you draw the line or how do you define it. I think it's different for each person. What your definition of love may be far from what someone elses' is. Then there is that quote if you don't love yourself how can you love someone else. My feeling on love is will I sacrifice for that person, like you would for your family or children. But isn't that only one level of Love? I think there are many.
    Love is a powerful scary word that comes with Trust also. It's one of those life altering things when you truely have it. I hope that makes sense.

    What a fabulous Blog. A really thought provoking one at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmen!! Your words... Love is a powerful scary word that comes with Trust also. It's one of those life altering things when you truly have it. It really is.I love getting feedback from you guys...always so deep!! <3

      Delete

Love feedback!